Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Musical Modulations - Followup

Last week's post about modulations generated a lot discussion and many friends were quick to remind me of some excellent examples I omitted from my list. So here is a quick list of some of the songs I was reminded of, or that later popped into my head:

Bon Jovi, Living on a Prayer - This song surprises you by not only moving up a minor third but by dropping a beat beforehand! (bar of 3 at 3:22) I like how the VII chord in the original key becomes the V chord in the new key.

Stevie Wonder: Summer Soft and Golden Lady - I wrote a bit about Stevie's modulations in my Black Keys post, but Stevie has the vocal chops to just keep modulating. He keeps both of these songs moving up in half steps until he finds the top of his range, if there is such thing.

BeyoncĂ©, Love on Top - BeyoncĂ© takes a page out of Stevie's book and does the same endless half-step climb in this one.

Chicago, Hard to Say I'm Sorry - From E Major the V4/2 chord moves us surprisingly to G, then back to E at the very end. Good stuff.

Mr. Big - To Be With You - This one-hit does the exact same thing as the Chicago song, moving from E to G (with a little less preparation) then back to E after one chorus. OK, the hair is a little embarrassing, but this song has one of my favorite guitar solos.

Earth, Wind & Fire, After the Love Has Gone - this song is all over the place. Starting in F, it slaps you in the face with some falsetto and a quick move to B! The chorus sounds like it's in Ab, but resolves its way to Gb. A big build up at 2:54 moves the chorus up a fourth. Man, this is a tough one!

Stevie Wonder, Lately - Yes, back to Stevie Wonder; he's just too good at this kind of thing. I love the extended build-up at 3:03 to move the song up a fourth!

Paul Simon, Still Crazy After All These Years - Sometimes a great modulation is subtle - you might not even notice it happened at all. This song creeps from G to A for the last chorus by quietly changing the vi chord into the V of the new key. The sax solo is in A, so in a way it is a call back.

Backstreet Boys, I Want it That Way - My girlfriend insisted on this song, but I secretly kind of love the modulation. There's something about when the singer holds a high note and the new key comes in under them that just works. See also: Boyz II Men.

R.E.M., Stand - The drums do a lot of the work here, dropping out just before the first modulation. But it's that second modulation that really gets me, a la On Bended Knee. Having the snare on all beats at that point really ramps up the energy too.

Beethoven, 9th Symphony - yes, I have the Backstreet Boys and Beethoven on the same list. I apologize. The fourth movement of Beethoven's masterpiece has the famous "Ode to Joy" theme. The theme moves through many keys, meters and harmonic variations. My favorite part - and the most famous part - is the big moment at 12:39. We are on F#, the V of Bm. But then we hear a hint of the theme in B Major...nice! Then Bm again? Maybe we are going to hear the theme in a minor key? NOPE, big swell and the chorus roars in to the climactic statement in D Major. So good.

Thanks to all the friends who chimed in with their favorite modulations!

4 comments:

  1. Nice site. Great modulations.
    I've always liked "Islands in the Stream", the change from C Major to Ab Major for the second verse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorites that I never noticed until playing the song is "Bold As Love". Not gonna lie, I discovered the song via John Mayer. I think I didn't notice it at first because the modulation is overshadowed by the novelty of a guitar solo building to a crescendo, dropping and continuing super soft / subtly, and then again building to a second crescendo. He uses the bVII G chord as a V chord in the new key a minor third up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5iYRWTqbco

      Delete
    2. Man, that's a sweet cover. Kind of a crazy modulation, too. Good stuff!

      Delete