Monday, March 23, 2015

Vocal Ranges of Jazz Standards - How Do They Stack Up?

In yesterday's post I mentioned in passing that Spring Can Really Hang You Up covers a pretty wide vocal range. That was an unqualified statement, so I figured I'd do a little research on popular vocal jazz standards to see if Spring is really unusual.

There was no method to choosing my list; this is just a sampling of songs that I have played with singers frequently over the years. It seems Spring really is in the top few, tied with My One and Only Love and second only to Misty. I would argue that it lingers on the high and low notes much more.

SongLowHighRange
MistyGE13
Spring Can Really Hang You Up The MostGD12
My One and Only LoveGD12
Lush LifeAbD#11
When I Fall in LoveBbEb11
God Bless the ChildBbEb11
Nature BoyAD11
Night and DayGC11
The Days of Wine and RosesCE10
Our Love is Here to StayCE10
You Don't Know What Love IsCE10
I Can't Get StartedCE10
UnforgettableCE10
Don’t Get Around Much AnymoreCE10
My Funny ValentineCEbb10
Lullaby of BirdlandCEbb10
Autumn LeavesBDb10
Ain't MisbehavingEbF9
All of MeDE9
Georgia on My MindDE9
How High The MoonCD9
The Nearness of YouCD9
Stormy WeatherCD9
Someone to Watch Over MeAbBb9
The Girl From IpanemaBbC9
Fly Me to the MoonBCb9
SummertimeEEOctave
Take The "A" TrainEEOctave
I Could Write a BookDDOctave
Bye Bye BlackbirdDCb7

No comments:

Post a Comment