Friday, October 11, 2013

First Post!

Welcome to "Why This Song Is Great!" This is a place for musicians, nerds, and gleeful combinations of the two. (regular music fans are welcome, too!)

You know those magic moments in a song - the ones that give you chills, excite you or move you to tears? This blog is the product of my endless need to explain why that happens to friends, family and coworkers, only to receive glossed-over stares and eye rolls. Finally, and to the relief of many, I am turning to the internet as an outlet for my geeky obsession with the inner workings of pop songs.

There are those who believe that analysis strips the magic from the arts. I beg to differ. Every great song, while superficially enjoyable, has layers of treats under the surface for those willing to listen. My goal is to find these quirks, happy accidents and clever moments that make the songs so special. Put on your headphones and read on!

2 comments:

  1. I was ruminating about how modulation is one of the oldest tricks in the pop music book, but is still magic to me when done right...I did a google search and found your blog. It looks like you stopped posting last year, but after browsing through all the posts, I want to say I love what you've done. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete